Some of you may remember that Life Centre along Jalan Sultan Ismail was a most happening place in the 1990s. It was my weekend hang-out with my then single friends. We’d dine at Benson & Hedges Bistro before heading across to Club Oz at Shangri-La Hotel to boogie the night away. Those were the good old days! Well happy days are back again with the revamped Life Centre. It’s still very much an F&B and entertainment hub.
Prior to 1988, the land where Life Centre sits today was a plot with two rows of 7 terrace houses facing Jalan Perak and separated by a narrow lane. At the back of these terrace houses were servants’ quarters and the rest of the land was “semi-jungle. In 1988, the founder, music record pioneer Mr. Ng Lian Chin planned to build an entertainment centre to enrich the lifestyle of the young, affluent and executives in Kuala Lumpur. He envisioned an entertainment and F&B centre rather than a high-rise commercial development which would have brought more monetary returns. Mr. Ng is also the founder of Life Records.
Construction of Life Centre began in late 1988 and was completed in 1990. The pulse and main attraction of the building was the concert hall known as Life Entertainment Hall with an approximate size of 27,000 square feet. The hall had the biggest screen (300 feet) in Malaysia then. In 1990, Life KTV started operations and it was the biggest karaoke joint in Malaysia with more than 50 karaoke rooms spreading about 10,000 square feet in size.
Life Centre’s renovation began in September 2010. The seven-storey Life Centre now houses some fine wine-and-dine establishments, niche cafes, luxury car showroom. convenience store and state-of-the-art entertainment hall. There are 5 floors of shop lots and 2 floors of basement car park. The total size of the centre is approximately 250,000 square feet. The revamped Life Centre is approximately 75% occupied.
The current tenants of Life Centre are:-
Vespa Pizza @ Life Centre, Level B1 (access from Jalan Perak)
- Offers true pizza “al taglio” (pizza by the slice), handmade Italian focaccia & ciabatta breads, pasta, lasagna, salads and delicious Italian dolci (sweets).
7 Eleven @ Life Centre, Level B1 (access from Jalan Perak)
- The Life centre outlet caters to the convenience needs of F&B and entertainment patrons.
Serai Asian & Western Cuisine @ Life Centre, Level G
- A flagship 4,000+ square feet restaurant of the Serai Group that serves up a fusion of East and West.
- Features a large, cozy and contemporary space that seats up to 140 pax.
dr. CAFE® Coffee @ Life Centre, Level G
- Serves aromatic cups of coffee and snacks.
Kingyo Japanese Restaurant @ Life Centre, Level G
- Brings the finest traditional Japanese cuisine prepared by renowned chefs from the now being re-built Equatorial Hotel Kuala Lumpur.
Lexus Car Showroom @ Life Centre, Level G
- Lexus Boutique Showroom opened in January 2013.
Amadeus Bistro & Wine @ Life Centre, Level M
- Offers a hearty menu of authentic, traditional and award winning dishes from across Europe along with a wide selection of European wines and beers to complement the gastronomic experience.
- It also offers a menu of irresistible homemade desserts and mouthwatering comfort food designed to fill ravenous appetites.
Doraku Sushi & Latin Cuisine @ Life Centre, Level M
- The first outlet outside of US, features Japanese food served up with a twist of Latin and Asian flavours.
Dirty Nelly’s English Pub @ Life Centre, Level 1
- Showcases traditional English favourites and a wide array of dishes for both lunch and dinner.
- Has an area that can cater up to 300 guests with a live band.
Ah Yat Abalone & Seafood Restaurant @Life Centre, Level 2
- This is the flagship Ah Yat Abalone & Seafood Restaurant in KL.
- Serves premium dim sum, abalone and seafood dishes.
KL Live Entertainment Hall
- Known for hosting some of the most explosive live concerts, DJ parties, dance competitions and corporate events.
- The hall accommodates a diverse range of both private and public functions throughout the year from live full standing concerts to cultural shows and sit down corporate dinners.